Mission Statement

I will in general eat healthy, eat "normal" food, without gimmicks, pills, surgery, or trademarked diets. I will log all calories consumed and estimate calories burned on a daily basis. I will then be able to track my progress and estimate arrival time to my goals through My Food Log. I will also develop non-food rewards for reaching my goals knowing that reaching each goal is a reward in-and-of itself. I will not give up. I know that I will not be perfect but that I am making a permanent lifestyle change. The good days will out-number the bad days. I will not give up!

7.28.2007

Kudos to Google

I mention that Google features have helped me with my weight loss battle in the introduction to my blog. It's time to explain how.

First, Google makes it easy for me to navigate the web. There tool bar set up is very easy for me to use. Bookmarks are particularly easy to establish and I can group various pages into folders for quick and easy access. I am not very computer savvy and you don't have to be in order to have success surfing the web with Google.

Second, Google's search engine functions very well for me. I can usually find the information I am seeking upon first click. I am rarely directed to sites or pages within sites that do not contain the information I want. For example, if I'm looking for the caloric content of a particular food, Google's top ten suggested site will always give me that information. Rarely does it suggest a site that will ask me to log-in or pay money before disclosing the information.

Third, Google makes web utilization fun. I have my own home page that opens automatically when I log on. I can customize the appearance, add and subtract content all with a click of the mouse and a little click and drag. I can also set up tabs which work like folders to group home page content features together. Currently I have my main home page with my Google Calendar, a Burt & Ernie/Aqua Teen Hunger Force terror level alert meter, my daily horoscope, three daily quotes and three daily "how-to" links. Then I have a second tab labeled, Games. This tab has a daily crossword, a mini version of Bejeweled, and Pac-Man. There are hundreds of content options available to add to my home page or a tab. It's so easy!

Fourth and finally for now, Google applications have directly helped me achieve weight loss success. Using Google Documents I created a spreadsheet that allows me to log, calculate and estimate the time it will take to reach my goals based on my verifiable progress (or regress as of late). I call it simply, My Food Log. I have the option to share it with specific individuals, allow them access to modify the page (and track their changes), and publish the document for anyone to see. If I notice that the weight is not coming off, I can look back to see what I've been doing lately that I need to modify. Similarly, when the weight is slipping away, I can verify what is working.

Although Google's Help features and 'Contact Us' functions are superb, I'd be happy to help anyone (as much as I am able to verbalize) in setting up a Google account, modifying their home page, searching for content, and setting up a Google feature such as Google Calendar or Google Documents. All you have to do is ask.

No comments: