Mission Statement

I will in general eat healthy, eat "normal" food, without gimmicks, pills, surgery, or trademarked diets. I will log all calories consumed and estimate calories burned on a daily basis. I will then be able to track my progress and estimate arrival time to my goals through My Food Log. I will also develop non-food rewards for reaching my goals knowing that reaching each goal is a reward in-and-of itself. I will not give up. I know that I will not be perfect but that I am making a permanent lifestyle change. The good days will out-number the bad days. I will not give up!

8.16.2007

Incorporating Mini-Goals

Over at the MiddleAgeShed there is a great article written to inspire and assist a fellow weight loss blogger. The article lists 5 tips for successful, sustained, and dramatic weight loss. I would like to mention one of those tips in particular and officially state my intentions to incorporate this principle into My Diet Plan.

The tip from the article Losing a Large Amount of Weight - 5 Tips is #2, "Break down the weight loss into small goals." I think this is an excellent idea. In My Diet Plan I originally broke it down into 2 large goals. After reading this article and having had time to experience this long-term weight loss battle, I have decided to revise my goals. That being said, I have already met one smaller goal... to get below the 200 pound mark. Though I am just barely there, it is a significant accomplishment. I am already able to fit back into some clothes that had become too tight. That's a double reward as I don't have to go buy all new clothes and having too tight clothes was the reason I started this new lifestyle to begin with.
I'm going to take this smaller goal idea in a different direction for the time being. Instead of focusing on pounds lost as a small goal, I'm going to focus on re-commitment to my principles. My first mini-goal is to have 3 days of "green" according to My Food Log. This may seem like a wimpy first mini-goal but I have just returned from a week long vacation. During the last 7 days (OK 8) I have not been logging my calories. I was unable to log while on vacation and the first day back just got away from me. I need to revitalize my commitment and I think a mini-goal of three days green is a great place to start. Wish me luck!

No comments: