Mission Statement

I will in general eat healthy, eat "normal" food, without gimmicks, pills, surgery, or trademarked diets. I will log all calories consumed and estimate calories burned on a daily basis. I will then be able to track my progress and estimate arrival time to my goals through My Food Log. I will also develop non-food rewards for reaching my goals knowing that reaching each goal is a reward in-and-of itself. I will not give up. I know that I will not be perfect but that I am making a permanent lifestyle change. The good days will out-number the bad days. I will not give up!

9.17.2007

One Pound Of Flesh

do0rdiet.blogspot.com
by Christina_2009

How do get those 9 servings of fruits and veggies a day? It might help to think about it in terms of cups. Guys and gals need different amounts. Your age will also help determine how much you need. Everyone over the age of 2 needs at least a pound (2 cups) of flesh and preferably fresh fruit and vegetables every day. Although, keep in mind that frozen, fresh, dried, canned, fruits and vegetables all count as servings. Keep reading to find out how much you need.

Ladies First
Age 2: 1 cup each
Age 4: 1 cup fruit and 1 1/2 cups veg
Age 9: 1 1/2 cups fruit and 2 cups veg
Age 14: 1 1/2 cups fruit and 2 1/2 cups veg
Age 19: 2 cups fruit and 2 1/2 cups veg
Age 31: 1 1/2 cups fruit and 2 1/2 cups veg
Age 51: 1 1/2 cups fruit and 2 cups veg

Fellas
Age 2: 1 cup each
Age 4: 1 1/2 cups fruit and 1 1/2 cups veg
Age 9: 1 1/2 cups fruit and 2 1/2 cups veg
Age 14: 2 cups fruit and 3 cups veg
Age 19: same as age 14 and remains same until age 51
Age 51: 2 cups fruit and 2 1/2 cups veg

Good to know, but how much is a cup? Better still, how much is 1/2 cup? 1/2 cup servings are generally better because that gives more opportunity for variety. And variety is important to help get all the vitamins and minerals we need.

Examples of one cup servings are:
one large orange - all flesh, no rind, no seeds
one large ear of corn - all kernels no husk
one large sweet potato - all flesh, no skin

Examples of 1/2 cup servings are:
one large bunch of grapes - about 16
baby carrots - about 6
strawberries - 4 large, no tops

for more examples visit 5aday.gov

No comments: