Mission Statement

I will in general eat healthy, eat "normal" food, without gimmicks, pills, surgery, or trademarked diets. I will log all calories consumed and estimate calories burned on a daily basis. I will then be able to track my progress and estimate arrival time to my goals through My Food Log. I will also develop non-food rewards for reaching my goals knowing that reaching each goal is a reward in-and-of itself. I will not give up. I know that I will not be perfect but that I am making a permanent lifestyle change. The good days will out-number the bad days. I will not give up!

9.15.2007

Cravings! But Why?

do0rdiet.blogspot.com
by Christina_2009

My wonderful husband is trying to turn me on to a site called Life Hacker. At the top of their home page are tabs to what they call "hacks". There are several categories including "food", "food hacks", and "kitchen". A few weeks ago, hubby forwarded an article to me.

"Food: What your cravings are trying to tell you." The chart found at the link is pretty good. It even highlights certain types of cravings like that time of the month cravings. Apparently general overeating... the stuff that I do... is caused from your body craving Silicon, Tryptophan, and Tyrosine. You can find these minerals? enzymes? vitamins?... food additives in nuts, seeds, cheese, liver, lamb, raisins, sweet potato, spinach, vitamin C, and orange, green, and red fruits and vegetables.
This seems to make sense to me that my body is craving something when I over indulge. I'm not supposed to eat any nuts or seeds (whole) because I have diver's ticulitus (or ticulosus depending)... a degenerative disease of the colon. So I over eat because I'm craving silicon... interesting. Perhaps my body also needs tyrosine because I don't seem to overeat after my daily lunch has included yellow squash (well steamed), broccoli (also well steamed) and red bell pepper (seeds removed). See My Food Log for examples of said days.
So, check it out. Can you identify with any of the cravings listed? Are your cravings quelled after you eat some of the recommended foods?

We Can Do It!

No comments: