Mission Statement

I will in general eat healthy, eat "normal" food, without gimmicks, pills, surgery, or trademarked diets. I will log all calories consumed and estimate calories burned on a daily basis. I will then be able to track my progress and estimate arrival time to my goals through My Food Log. I will also develop non-food rewards for reaching my goals knowing that reaching each goal is a reward in-and-of itself. I will not give up. I know that I will not be perfect but that I am making a permanent lifestyle change. The good days will out-number the bad days. I will not give up!

9.19.2007

Yummy Yummy For My Tummy, Light And Delicious Too

do0rdiet.blogspot.com
by Christina2009


Slowly but surely I have begun to incorporate healthy features into my family's meals. I have been successful at keeping all the flavor, taste, and texture of a few dishes while cutting the calories and fat. Here are two of the recipes that, while my family may not realize are altered, My Food Log and I do.

Just Like Betty's Tuna Noodle Casserole
This recipe for Tuna Casserole really sticks to your ribs. It's also quick and easy to prepare. It tastes so much like Betty Crocker's recipe that I really couldn't tell a difference. Also, this recipe yields 4 large servings instead of Betty's 6. This will also save about 200 calories per serving.
Ingredients:
1 10.5 oz can condensed cream of mushroom soup (store brand)
1/2 c. skim milk (store brand)
1 c. uncooked elbow macaroni (store brand)
1 c. (4 oz.) shredded or cubed 50% reduced fat cheddar cheese (Cabot's Vermont Sharp)
12 oz. white albacore or lite chunk tuna packed in water - drained (Starkist)
1 c. frozen peas (store brand)
1/2 c. crushed corn flakes, usually 1 c. before crushing (Kellog's) - see tip below***
1 tbls. lite margarine (I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Lite)

Preheat oven to 350
Cook macaroni according to package directions (usually boil for 8-10 minutes)
Set peas out to thaw
Meanwhile mix milk and soup (try using a fork or whisk, but don't froth)
Drain and rinse macaroni in cool water
Mix all ingredients except corn flakes and margarine
Pour mixture into 1.5 quart casserole dish and smooth over top
Place in oven for 20 minutes
While that's cooking melt margarine and mix with crushed corn flakes (try the fork again)
Remove casserole from oven after 20 minutes and cover with corn flake mixture
Cook 10 minutes more
Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes
Serve and gobble down!

Makes 4 large servings 414 Calories 12 grams fat

Good as Granny's Green Bean Casserole
This recipe will really surprise. It's got all the savory flavor like Granny's but about 60 fewer
calories.
Ingredients:
2 14.5 or 15 oz cans of fresh cut green beans - drained (Del Monte)
or 2 16 oz bags of fresh green beans - cook as directed by Granny
1 10.5 can condensed cream of celery soup (store brand)
1/2 c. skim milk
1/8 tsp. black pepper (store brand)
2 tsp. spicy dijon mustard (French's)
3/4 c. crushed cornflakes - usually 1 1/2 c. before crushing (Kellog's) - see tip below***
1/2 tsp. onion powder to taste (store brand)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder to taste (store brand)
1/4 c. parmesan cheese (store brand)

Preheat oven to 350
In a 2 quart casserole dish, mix milk and soup (try using a fork or whisk)
Stir in green beans, black pepper, and dijon mustard then smooth top
In a separate bowl combine crushed cornflakes, parmesan cheese, onion powder and garlic powder
Spread cornflake mixture over top of casserole
Place in oven for 30 - 40 minutes until hot and bubbly
Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes
Serves and gobble down!

Makes about 6 3/4 c. servings 107 Calories 3 grams of fat

*** Tip ***
For an easy and mess free way to crush cornflakes place whole flakes in a zip tight sandwich size plastic bag. Leaving one corner of bag open, squeeze out most extra air. Seal that corner and make sure entire seal is tight. Use a rolling pin to roll over the bag until desired consistency is achieved. I prefer a fine crush. You can then use the same bag to mix in other dry ingredients when called for.

Here's to yummy eating and We Can Do It!





DType the

No comments: