Mission Statement

I will in general eat healthy, eat "normal" food, without gimmicks, pills, surgery, or trademarked diets. I will log all calories consumed and estimate calories burned on a daily basis. I will then be able to track my progress and estimate arrival time to my goals through My Food Log. I will also develop non-food rewards for reaching my goals knowing that reaching each goal is a reward in-and-of itself. I will not give up. I know that I will not be perfect but that I am making a permanent lifestyle change. The good days will out-number the bad days. I will not give up!

9.13.2007

More Ways To Cut 100 Calories

do0rdiet.blogspot.com
by Christina_2009

From americaonthemove.org with my own embellishments of course. Also, see Little Changes, Big Results from Wednesday's post. One note I found that I will repeat word for word....
"Some health experts say that the increasing number of overweight Americans is caused, on average, by an imbalance of just 100 extra calories per day. Eating a little less, moving a little more or doing a bit of both can help you stop weight gain and achieve calorie balance."

That being said, as I mentioned on Wednesday... if you cut just 100 calories per day from your diet and don't replace them, or if you can burn 100 calories more by exercising... the average person will loose 1 pound per month for a total of 12 pounds lost per year. Cutting 100 calories is easy.

Eat frozen fruit instead of ice cream. I mentioned this in Thursday's post as well.

Make your own smoothie out of low fat/lite yogurt, fresh fruit, and skim milk. Also, eat lite yogurt instead of regular yogurt whenever possible. Remember, little changes = big results. You can probably cut 15-30 calories just by doing this one.

Don't snack on chips or pretzels from the bag. Use a bowl. Also, get smaller bowls so smaller portions seem to fill them up more. I use 10 oz. cups and leave a little header at the top.

Try sugar free gelatin (jello) with fruit poured in. I think Dole is selling this in individual sizes now.

Substitute hummus for mayo on sandwiches. It's also great with raw veggies... it's about the only way I can stand to eat raw veggies. You can also use it in place of cheese dip on tortilla or pita chips.

Rinse away syrups from fruits packed in water. I also mentioned this Thursday. Try fruit packed in its own unsweetened juice or fruit packed in water.

Choose smaller pieces of fruit or have half of a larger piece. Some apples get huge. Have half of that sized fruit. It will still count as a whole serving. Use your fist as a portion estimator. Just about any food portion should be the same size or smaller than your fist.

Make kabobs with fruit and fat free cheese. If you bite both at the same time you won't notice the taste of the cheese. This was also mentioned yesterday.... are these guys using the same source?

Focus on the fruit and veggie when using a dip. Keep in mind the portion size of dips, usually 2 tablespoons... not very much. Try fat free cream cheese, fat free dressing, low-fat caramel, or lite yogurt for dips. Again, little changes = big results. You can probably cut out as much as the whole 100 calories by watching your dip portion and using lower calorie alternatives.

Have 1 less handful of nuts. A serving size of Planter's Peanuts is 39 pieces, not 39 whole peanuts. Also, try reduced fat peanut butter or natural peanut butter with the oil poured off instead of mixed in. Try using only 1 tablespoon instead of the recommended serving size (two tablespoons) of peanut butter on a sandwich. It can be spread pretty thin. You still get all the flavor of the peanut butter and maybe your sandwich won't stick to the roof of your mouth. Drink skim milk instead of whole milk to scrape the peanut butter off the roof of your mouth. Doing this will definitely cut at least 100 calories.

Don't add butter to your microwave popcorn. Buy varieties of popcorn without added butter or even butter flavor.

Got a craving for chocolate? Take tiny bites and let it melt on your tongue. Have half the recommended serving size. Also, try a fat free Snack Pack or other individually sized chocolate pudding. This way you get a serving of dairy in too.

Do or Diet

No comments: